What is PR?
We know from experience that PR is the Persuasion Business and the best PR companies are the best persuaders. We say this because you are required in public relations to convince an audience, inside your clients building or city, and outside your usual realm of influence. This is to promote an idea, purchase a product, support a client’s position, or recognise an accomplishment.
The Public Relations Society of America PRSA received a few thousand submissions for a definition of PR: “PR is a strategic communication process that builds mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and their publics.”
PR people are storytellers. In fact here a Conteur we are storytellers more than anything else, whether it is with PR, video production, digital marketing or SEO. We create the narrative to advance our client’s agenda.
We use our PR skills to protect and build the reputations through traditional media, social media, or self-produced communications. A good PR practitioner will learn from and analyse the client, find the positive messages/ stories to tell and translate them to stories.
A Princeton Review states: “A public relations specialist is an image shaper. Their job is to generate positive publicity for their client and enhance their reputation … They keep the public informed about the activity of government agencies, explain policy, and manage political campaigns. Public relations people working for a company may handle consumer relations, or the relationship between parts of the company such as the managers and employees, or different branch offices.”
The tools we use at Conteur include the following:
- Write and distribute press releases
- Write pitches (less formal than press releases) about our client and send them directly to journalists
- Create and execute special events designed for public outreach and media relations
- Conduct market research on the firm or the firm’s messaging
- Writing and blogging for the web (internal or external sites)
- Crisis public relations strategies
- Social media promotions and responses to negative opinions online